I competed in a couple of comps while I was a white belt with varied results. I think my comp record is 3W- 3L. I’ve picked up 3rd in a couple of brackets but there were not many competitors, so it was no big success. I’m yet to compete as a blue belt.
Earlier this month I decided that I'm going to compete at the BJJ Pan Pacs in Melbourne. The Pan Pacs is Australia’s biggest and most prestigious Jiu-Jitsu tournament. It’s on the 16th 17th 18th September, so my preparation has started now. My training intensity has already picked up.
A small group are also going from my gym but because I'm so isolated from my gym's coaches and training partners, I'm setting up my own fight camp. I will train with my team mates at least once a week but most of the preparation I'll have to organize my self.
The fight camp is going to be just under 8 weeks long.
I've broken down the areas I need to work on to do well in the comp. I will also set some mini goals along the way.
- Organization- Training Schedule encompassing all 7 areas, goal setting.
- Nutrition- 94kg Aug 16th, Calorie counting, I'm taking some vitamins as well in an attempt to keep healthy and on the mat.
- Technical- Game Plan, Drilling, High intensity sparring,
- Strength/Power- Kettle bells, Body Weight circuit, Grip strength, Core strength
- Cardio- Skipping, High intensity sparring,
- Flexibility- Yoga, Old school warm ups
- Mental- Positive self talk, Affirmations, Motivation, Visualization.
I've never been in peak physical condition ever in my life. I plan to get as close to that as I can over the next 8 weeks.
I'll keep a weekly blog right through the camp and do a bit of an analysis of the camp and my performance after the Pan Pacs. Hopefully it helps keep me on track.
C u on the mat!