Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Terra Luta BJJ

On the 21st January three years ago, I started travelling a two hour round trip from Gympie to Caloundra 2-3 times a week to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from Ryan Dunstan. I knew back then that BJJ was going to be a part of my life and I'd have to organize a way to train closer to home.
So earlier this year, with the blessing of my coach and the purchase of quality mats, I started doing some training at my business here in Gympie after hours.
In the beginning it was very low key with just a couple of my mates 2 times a week. One of my mates is another Blue belt who was also looking for a place to train. So i've been able to get some good training in for myself and start bringing some of my mates up to a level so they can have some fun on the mat and learn some fundamentals of BJJ.
Once the word got out we were doing true Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu here in Gympie, people have been super keen to try it out and I've got about 10 peeps now that train with me consistently. I haven't been charging them anything to train.
I didn't feel right charging people to get coached by a blue belt, but as of 1st January I will be affiliated with  IgniteSC and with the help and support from Coach Ryan Dunstan, I feel confident to start up my own little club..
Terra Luta Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gympie's first 100% BJJ club.


My mission as a club is....
  • To create a safe, friendly and motivating place to learn the beautiful art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
  • To strive to make a difference in the community by providing an affordable, safe and fun non striking form of self defense.
  • To promote respect, courtesy, gratitude, mate-ship and a healthy lifestyle.
  • To offer a family friendly environment which promotes Jiu-Jitsu for everyone.
  • To give students the option to train hard to compete at a high level, or just train to have fun and learn.
  • To have a positive affect on the lives of all the team mates that step on to the Terra Luta mat.

 

We will be training BJJ at the Gympie Feed Barn Wednesday and Friday nights at 6pm and Sunday afternoons at 4pm. Anyone interested in training contact me and please follow our facebook page at Terra Luta BJJ for all the latest info on the club.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has given me a new found passion and focus. By competing at least 2-3 times a year, not only has my jiu-jitsu game improved but I feel that I have grown and continue to grow as an individual. I truly believe BJJ has helped me become a better person in all areas of my life. It has provided me with a healthy activity that continually gives me so many new and exciting experiences. I'm extremely grateful to the team mates and coaches that I have trained with since I started my jits journey. I love introducing people to the art and watching them fall in love with it, like I have. I hope to be a positive influence on anyone who trains with me and help spread the awesomeness that is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu within Australia.


C u on the mat,
Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment