Thursday, October 7, 2010

Concepts

Concept. A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences. Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion. A scheme; a plan.

Concepts have become a massive part of how I approach my training. When I first started out in Jiu-Jitsu I wanted to know every detail to every move and if I didn't remember it all at the exact time I wanted it I would get angry at myself.
I thought it was amazing that my coach could not only remember all these intricate moves but he knew them so well he could explain them in detail and with confidence to a group.
As i trained more and became familiar with some of the basic movements I began to realise that I didn't have to remember the entire series of moves in precise detail. I could use concepts for certain positions and situations. 
So I find an area of my game that I'm having the most trouble with and focus in on it. Most of my concepts I get from my coach, some from my training partners, some from instructionals and some stuff I come up with in my head and put them to test while sparring.
My concepts can be either specific technical ideas or a little more philosophical.  They are always changing and consistently under development. I'm always looking for more effective concepts for every part of my game.  
Over the next few months I'll be blogging up the concepts that have been working for me lately. Just remember that what might be working for me may not work as well for you. My coach always says BJJ is very individual, you need to find what works for you. The main reason for me to blog these concepts up is to help myself break them down and understand them better.
C u on the mat,
Rex.

P.S.  My beautiful wife is having our second child tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous. I remember after the birth of our first kid, things were a bit full on for the first few weeks. Took us a while to get used to it all. I'm sure we'll be a bit more chilled about it all this time around. I may not be able to train or blog for a little while, I'll be busy changing nappies and putting babies to sleep.

2 comments: