Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Anthony Perosh BJJ Seminar

I arrived at the gym a little bit early and had a quick no-gi warm up roll. Which sure warmed us up, it was a hot day as it was. Add the fact that the fight night was the night before and we had celebrated the teams performance well in to the night. I was feeling the heat.
There was a decent roll up of about 20. This is actually the second seminar I've done with Mr Perosh, he is a 2nd Degree Black Belt under Carlos Machado. He is also 10 x Australian Brazilian Jiu Jitsu champion, 3 x Bronze medalist at the Worlds and a UFC veteran fighting big names in the sport like CroCop and Jeff Monson. So it goes with out saying that when he walks on to the mat the dude has some serious room presence.
The bulk of the seminar was on attacking the turtle position and then defending from that position. We also went over some half guard stuff. There was quiet a few techniques that he showed that I really liked and can add to my game almost immediately. We did some competition style training isolating the turtle position. It was a great way to put the new techniques to the test and add them to my game. I was going to go in to detail of the moves that Mr Perosh taught us but like I've said before describing bjj techniques in words is very difficult.
He spoke about the importance of Gi training, keeping notes and using a flow chart of options from all the different positions. He said that his students fighting mma are not allowed to fight unless they do at least 2 advanced BJJ classes a week in the Gi. He believes that it is very important to train each area of mma individually.
When he spoke about keeping notes and having a flow chart game plan I was extremely interested. I've always taken notes ever since i started. At first they were just a list of all the techniques i was learning and it wasn't really helping me out to much. When i started to use it as more of a journal on my rolls and what i was pulling off in training and what i was getting caught with and why, it became much more useful. It helped me to figure out what i was getting better at and what I needed to work on.
I also have a flow chart of the moves I use in all the different positions. I try to have at least 2 no more than 5 options from every position. My flow chart is still under work and changes all the time. I'm still trying to build a good foundation in all the different positions and I often try something for a while then try something else from that same spot. It takes a lot of mat time to develop a solid game in all the areas but It is defiantly great advise to start trying to build one early in your jits journey. A shitty plan is still better than no plan at all, as they say.


So I got a lot out of the seminar and at $50 it was an absolute bargain. Anthony Perosh is a world class instructor and I feel privileged to have had that access to his wealth of BJJ knowledge. I really look forward to the next time he's up this way.

C u on the mat,

Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment