Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Connecting The Dots

I always try to to use the technique we are shown at the start of class during sparing at the end of class. I find that if I go for those new moves and especially if I pull the move off with some success, it's then in my bag of tricks for ever. Sometimes it leads to me getting tapped or being put in to shit spots but I really believe this helps to progress faster. The techniques our coach showed us my last training session slotted straight in to my tight game from side control. This is no fluke either, due to my coach not just teaching us random techniques. Every move we are taught connects to a series of moves we have been shown before. Having coaching like this also helps to progress faster. I stunted my growth at the start of my training by trying to collect too many techniques from everywhere. You tube, dvd instrutionals and even magazines. I was collecting a massive amount of info. This only confused me more and made me think too much while I was rolling. I've spoken about this in a previous post, thinking while you roll leads to death.

I also pulled off the very elusive triangle from closed guard last night while sparring and the feeling of getting it was very gratifying. I even went from triangle to omoplata back to triangle to finish. The triangle is elusive to me for a few reasons. One is I have short and large legs with low flexibility. The other is that I've never really drilled it in class.

One part of my game that I feel is lacking is my submissions from the closed guard. The game I play with the different guards I use, all revolve around sweeps. The only sub I pull with any real success is the Kimura from closed guard and half guard. The half guard kimura usually leads to a sweep then a pass. I do throw up the ocasional triangle, omoplata or armbar from closed guard but I would say they are very low percentage for me and if I really try to get it I often get my guard passed. 

I've studied tons of high level nogi grappling tournaments and by far the 3 most common submissions are the RNC, Triangle, and Armbar. Now I've been thinking a lot about this, and I would be crazy not to use this information and try to make my self a better grappler. I have been working on taking the back and getting the rear naked a lot. And I also work on my armbars from the doninate top positions. But I need to focus on my submissions from the guard a lot more.

I've always blamed my low flexibility and fat legs for my shit triangles and armbars but I think it is more poor technique. Not enough drilling the triangle and the options off the triangle and not enough working on my flexibility is the problem. To rectify this I'm going to focus on my flexibility and really start throwing up Triangles when I'm free rolling. I find if I really focus on getting the triangle I can normally get the position. But finishing it off is a whole other story. I'm missing a couple of things. One i think is keeping there posture broken down. The other is getting the right angle and distance. And the last is hooking the leg if they try to stand up. The Triangle is such a great move and is available from lots of different set ups. I think it's the submission i'm going to focus on over the next few months.

I've also been using one of the techniques from the Perosh seminar when I'm turtled and the top player goes for the under over control from the side. I clamp the far arm with my armpit then roll in to them pulling them over the top of me and me ending up in side control. I've also been getting a move when someone is just about to pass but I go to my knees then roll out to replace them in my guard. Lovein' that one.

C u on the mat,
Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment